It is ever more apparent that humanity is intricately connected to nature. We are all part of the natural world and achieving balance with the whole is vital for our collective survival and wellbeing. A cornerstone of that natural world is our ocean.
OneOcean is a collective promoting the urgent need to enhance human wellbeing through ocean protection, safeguarding the key services which the ocean performs for our planet. Informed by the work of scientists and other experts, the initiative provides a unified platform for ocean groups and aligns effort around four major needs:
- Maintain momentum for ocean protection during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- new targets to protect 30% of the ocean by 2030, achievable at CBD CoP25 (currently rescheduled for January 2021);
- a robust treaty for the High Seas, two thirds of the ocean, through the final scheduled round of UN Negotiations (new date pending);
- emissions reductions to limit global heating to 1.5 degrees, attainable at UNFCC CoP25 (currently rescheduled for June 2021) ; and
- increasing ocean resilience to climate change by reducing other stressors, via multiple measures from reductions in overfishing to action on single-use plastic.