It is ever more apparent that humanity is intricately connected to nature. We are all part of the natural world and achieving balance with the whole is vital for our collective survival and wellbeing. A cornerstone of that natural world is our ocean.
The OneOcean Flotilla is a collective of marine organisations, seeking to influence ocean protection through aligned, impactful communication. Informed by the work of scientists and other experts, the initiative provides a unified platform for ocean groups, Flotilla partners, to align effort and engage in activities designed to:
- Maintain momentum for ocean protection during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Increase ocean resilience to climate breakdown by reducing other stressors, such as overfishing and single-use plastic;
- Secure new targets to protect 30% of the ocean by 2030, achievable at CBD COP26;
- Ensure a robust treaty for the High Seas in the final round of UN Negotiations (August 2021);
- Reduce emissions to limit global heating to 1.5 degrees, attainable at UNFCC CoP26.